Delicious Sauerkraut Soup
- 1/2 quart sauerkraut
- 7 cups meat stock or smoked-meat stock
- brown 2 Tablespoons or so flour
- 1 cup soup
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Drain 1/2 quart sauerkraut, reserving liquid. Rinse in cold water, drain in colander, squeeze out excess moisture, and slice quite fine. If the sauerkraut is very sour, scald with boiling water in pot, bring to boil, and simmer 5 minutes, then drain. Add sauerkraut to 7 cups meat stock or smoked-meat stock, including the diced meat, and cook uncovered 60 minutes.
- Fry up 4-5 sliced diced bacon and brown 2 Tablespoons or so flour in the drippings, stirring to a smooth roux. Stir in 1 cup soup and when smooth add to soup pot. Season with several dashes of pepper, 1/4 teaspoon caraway, and simmer a while longer. Add 1 teaspoon sugar.
- If your kapusniak is not as tart as you like, add a little reserved sauerkraut juice. Boiled potatoes can be served on the side or in the soup, whichever you prefer. Adding 1-2 presoaked dried Polish mushrooms at start of cooking will improve the flavor.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0