- 1 cup red lentils (scant)
- 2 tsp garlic-ginger paste
- X pinch of tumeric
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 whole dried chilis
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives
- Put unsoaked lentils in medium, heavy saucepan, wash with 2 or three changes of water, then drain. Add 2 1/2 cups water, G&G paste, tumeric, green chili. Bring to a boil gradually over medium heat, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir vigorously with wooden spoon to help break up lentils, cook for about 10 more minutes, until lentils are soft and mushy.
- Use pam or good non-stick pan to temper spices. Add garlic, whole dry chiles and cumin seeds to hot pan. As soon as seeds sizzle, and garlic pales to pink, about 2 minutes, pour into lentils. Stir it well and simmer another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and chives just before serving. Pull out chillis if you wish.
GINGER and GARLIC PASTE:
- 4 oz. ginger root, lightly scraped washed and cut into chunks,
- the same amount of garlic, peeled.
- Put ingredients in a blender with a very little water, just to help grinding.
- Spoon into airtight jar and store in fridge, or freeze it.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0