Dafeena (Middle East Cholent)
- 2-2 1/2 lb Beef; cut into large chunks or 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 c Chickpeas (garbanzo beans); soaked overnight
- 1 lg Onion; sliced
- 6 ea Raw Eggs with carefully washed shells
- 6 md Potatoes; cut into quarters or eighths
- 2-3 ea Garlic Cloves; diced
- 1/2 ts Cinnamon
- 1/2 ts All-Spice
- 1/4 ts Ginger
- 1 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- Water to cover (about 8-10 cups)
- 1 c Uncooked Rice; checked; washed; wrapped in cheesecloth
- Place all ingredients, except rice, in alarge pot with meat or chicken, potatoes, and eggs on top. Add water to cover, plus 1 inch.
- Place rice in cheesecloth — loose enough for rice to double in volume — and tie securely. Place cheesecloth in pot, mostly below surface of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Place in 225F oven, or cover and cook on a covered stovetop over very low heat overnight, or cook slowly in a crockpot over high heat for almost an hour, then over low heat until ready to be eaten.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0