Creole Chicken, Red Beans And Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, (about 4 pounds) cut into 10 pieces
- Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 pound dried red beans, rinsed, picked over, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1/4 pound long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green part only)
- In a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil.
- Season the chicken with Creole seasoning. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Season with Creole seasoning. Sauté the vegetables for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, pinch of crushed red pepper and red beans and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Re-season if necessary. Add the rice and continue to cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve with crunchy French Bread.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0