Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 1/4 pound butter, softened
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup candied cherries, halved
- 1/3 cup candied orange or lemon peel, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped candied citron
- 1 cup seedless golden raisins
- 2 tsp anise extract
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 pkg active dry yeast
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour (est. amount)
- melted butter
STEP BY STEP:
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water in small bowl; set aside. Pour boiling water over butter, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm. Add eggs and anise; beat until well blended. Stir in half the flour; add yeast mixture and stir. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic. Put into greased bowl, turn to grease top of dough.
- Cover with cloth; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- When dough has doubled, punch down and knead in fruits. Shape into two loaves. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with melted butter. Let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- With sharp knife, cut slashed on top. Bake in preheated 350� oven for 50 minutes, or until done.
- Brush again with melted butter. Cool on wire racks.