Collard Greens Soup
- 1 (8 oz.) ham hock, smoked turkey wings, turkey sausage, or kielbasa
- 2 (32 oz.) containers chicken broth
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 teas. olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (16 oz.) packages fresh collard greens chopped
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 TBS cider vinegar
- 1 TBS hot sauce
- 1 teas. pepper
- Bring ham hock and broth to a boil in a Dutch oven; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook bacon in hot oil in a medium skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Sauté onion and celery in drippings 5 minutes or until tender; add bacon.
- Stir together flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth. Stir into bacon mixture. Stir bacon mixture and collard greens into broth mixture. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until collards are tender.
- Remove ham hock; cook slightly. Remove meat from bone, discarding bone; dice meat, and return to soup.
- Stir in whipping cream and remaining ingredients.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0