Cholent with Schmaltz and Gribenes
- 3 lbs. of brisket, short ribs or flanken
- 2 cups dried lima beans
- 3 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup schmaltz
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup barley
- 3-4 large russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled & quartered
- water to cover
- Gribenes (fried chicken skins)
- Soak lima beans in water to cover for 4 hours or overnight.
- Saute the onions in schmaltz or oil in the bottom of a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven large enough to hold all the ingredients and still leave room for beans and barley to expand.
- Cook, stirring, until onions begin to brown, add garlic and seasonings and cook one minute more.
- Remove half the mixture and reserve. Drain the lima beans and place them in the bottom of the pot on top of the sauteed onions. Sprinkle on barley and layer on the potatoes with the reserved onions.
- Place the meat over all. Add enough water to cover the meat by two inches. Cover the pot very tightly with a layer of foil and a lid on top and place on blech* or in oven.
- Sprinkle gribenes on cholent prior to serving. Pass around extra gribenes to add as desired.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0