- 2/3 cup unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons 1-minute quick oats
- 1 tablespoon regular wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cold, sweet, soft corn oil margarine
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons granulated fructose (available in health food stores)
TO PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Measure flour into work bowl of food processor that has been fitted with steel blade. Add oats, wheat germ, and baking powder. Process for 15 seconds. Remove cover. Drop margarine in 3 separate spots over dry mixture. Cover and process until mixture is crumbly (about 6 seconds). With machine running, pour water through feed tube. Process until a mass forms (about 10 seconds).
- Place dough on large sheet of waxed paper. Knead briefly into a ball. Press into a 9-inch circle. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper. Place on a flat plate and chill for 30 minutes. Between the two sheets of waxed paper, gently roll dough into an 11-inch circle (pastry will be very thin). Change sheets of waxed paper if they tear. Carefully peel off top sheet. Lift up bottom sheet with dough, invert, and ease into a 9-inch pie pan. Gently pull off paper.
- Bake shell until bottom is lightly browned (10 to 12 minutes). Place in freezer so it will be cold when filling is added.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Place 1 inch of water in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a simmer. Chop chocolate and place in a small metal or glass bowl. Set bowl in saucepan and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until chocolate is melted. Remove bowl from heat and set aside. Keep water at a simmer.
- In a large metal bowl, whisk together milk, cocoa, and vanilla. Separate 2 tablespoons of this mixture into a small mixing bowl, and put the remaining mixture in the freezer
- Add 2 teaspoons of water to the bowl containing the 2 tablespoons of mixture. Sprinkle with the gelatin and set aside.
- Place the egg yolk and whites into separate medium-size mixing bowls. Into the yolk, whisk apple juice and 2 teaspoons fructose. Set the bowl in saucepan and whisk vigorously until the yolks are foamy and hot to the touch. Remove bowl from heat. Beat mixture with an electric mixer on high until peaks begin to form (about 4 to 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Into the egg whites, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon fructose. Place bowl on top of simmering saucepan (if water has evaporated, add more). Whisk until whites are hot to the touch. Remove bowl from heat and beat whites with an electric mixer on medium-high until almost stiff (about 1 minute). Set aside.
- Remove chocolate milk mixture from freezer and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high until foamy (about 2 minutes). Gently fold the chocolate/gelatin mixture into the whipped yolks, then add to the chocolate milk bowl.
- Whisk the whipped whites briefly to smooth them, and add to the mixture. Quickly fold all ingredients together and pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Place in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer pie to refrigerator until completely set.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0