Chicken-Avocado Tortilla Soup
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic-chopped
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 lbs. boned chicken breasts
- 1 ripe avocado
- fresh cilantro, salt, and shredded cheese
- Stir first 5 ingredients for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add broth and tomatoes (with juice) and green chilies. Bring to a boil.
- Cut tortillas into 1/8 inch wide strips. Add to boiling broth, the cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Add to broth and bring back to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until meat is white, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with thinly sliced avocado and shredded cheese.
Note: the tortillas will thicken the soup as they dissolve
Share & Print
0 0 100 0