Cherry Apple Pie
- 1 15-ounce package refrigerated pie crusts
- 5 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground apple spice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare pie crust according to package directions for a two-crust pie using a 9-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, salt and spices; mix well. Add cherries; toss lightly.
- Place into crust-lined pan; dot with butter. Top with second crust and flute; cut slits in several places.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge with strips of foil after 15 or 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.
- In a small saucepan, combine buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup and baking soda; mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in orange-flavored liqueur. Serve sauce over warm pie.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0