Cheese Enchiladas with Green Sauce
- 1/2 package frozen spinach, chopped, (10-ounce)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1/2 can green chilies, diced, drained (4-ounce)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper, crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas, 6-inch
- 3 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- For sauce: Cook spinach according to package instructions. Drain well. Set aside. Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir mixture 2 minutes; do not brown. Gradually whisk in whipping cream and milk. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach, cilantro, green onion, chilies, cumin, coriander and red pepper.
- Puree in batches in processor until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) For enchiladas: Heat oil in heavy small skillet over medium-high heat. Using tongs, briefly dip each tortilla in oil to soften, about 15 seconds per side.
- Transfer to paper towels and drain.
- Combine cheeses in large bowl; set aside 1 1/2 cups for topping. Combine onion and cilantro in small bowl.
- Place 1/4 cup cheese mixture in center of 1 tortilla. Spoon 2 teaspoons onion mixture over. Roll up tortilla.
- Place seam side down in large glass baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, cheese and onion, using 1/4 cup cheese for each. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.) Preheat oven to 375F. Stir sour cream into sauce; pour over enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with reserved 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake until cheese melts and enchiladas are heated through, about 25 minutes.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0