Cheddar Corn Chowder
- 16 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs white boiling potatoes, chopped
- 10 ears fresh corn
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 lb cheddar, shredded
- Cook the bacon in the olive oil, pour the grease into a stock pot and set the bacon aside. Over medium heat, add onions and butter to the bacon grease. Cook 10 min or until onions are translucent.
- While onions are cooking, add 6 bouillon cubes to 6 cups water and bring to a boil until cubes dissolve. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes to the onions, simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Ifusing fresh corn, cut off kernels and blanch for 3 min in boiling salted water. Add corn, half-and-half, and cheddar. Cook until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with bacon.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0