Champagne Celebration Cake
Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 9 tbsp champagne
- 4 cup flour
- 3 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 8 egg whites
- red food coloring, optional
- edible carnationsChampagne buttercream:
- 4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp champagne
- red food color
STEP BY STEP:
- Grease and lightly flour one 9″ round pan and one 13x9x2 pan; set aside.
- In a very large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add milk, shortening, 1/2 cup champagne, vanilla, and, if desired, red food coloring.
- Beat on low to medium speed about 30 seconds or just till combined, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add unbeaten egg whites, beat 2 minutes.
- Spread 2-3/4 cups batter in 9″ pan and remaining batter in 13x9x2 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F 30-35 minutes for round cake and 40-45 minutes for rectangular cake or until cake tests done.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Using cardboard circle patterns of 4 and 6 inches, cut one 4-inch and one 6-inch cake layer from the 13x9x2 cake.
- If desired, drizzle 3 tablespoons of champagne over the top of each round cake layer. Place the 9-inch cake layer on a serving plate; frost sides and top.
- Lining up the backs of the layers, place the 6-inch cake on top of the 9-inch cake; frost sides and top. Repeat with remainging 4-inch cake.
- If desired, tint any remaining frosting; decorate with tinted frosting and flowers.
- Buttercream frosting (makes 3 3/4 cups): In a bowl beat shortening and butter or margarine until combined. Beat in champagne or cream sherry. Beat in sifted powdered sugar and a few drops red food coloring. If necessary, beat in additional champagne or cream sherry to make frosting spreading consistency.