Challah (Holiday Twist Bread)
- 1 pk (or 1 tablespoon) Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tb Sugar= artifical sweetener
- 1/4 c Warm Water (110 to 115 -degrees)
- 2 c All-Purpose Flour
- 2 To 2-1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 Egg
- 2 tb Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/4 c Water
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tb Poppy Seeds
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar substitute in the 1/4 cup of warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flours and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg, oil, yeast mixture and remaining 1-1/4 cups of water. Mix well.
- Knead the dough on a floured board, adding more whole wheat flour until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Roll each third into a strip about 15 inches long.
- Braid the strips together and place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet. Brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle on the poppy seeds. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a 375-degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0