Cabbage and Tomato Soup
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium leek, white part only, chopped
- 1/3 small head cabbage, quartered and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips, about 6 cups
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 4 cups vegetable stock or canned broth
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, steel-cut or old-fashioned
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and leek and stir to coat with the oil. Cover the pot tightly, reduce the heat to medium, and cook the vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the cabbage, cover the pot, and cook for another 10 minutes, until the cabbage is wilted.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, oatmeal, thyme, sugar, bay leaf and salt.
- Season the soup to taste with pepper and simmer, uncovered, until the oatmeal is cooked and the cabbage is tender. This should take about 30 minutes if using steel-cut oats, and 20 minutes if using rolled oats.
- Serve, or cool and refrigerate overnight.
- When reheating, to regain a soup-like consistency, you may want to add some vegetable broth.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0