Butternut Squash Soup With Cranberry Puree
- 1 small onion diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 2 oz butter
- 1/8 tsp. mace
- 1/8 tsp. ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- white pepper, as needed, salt, as needed
- 1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped into one inch cubes
- 3 pints chicken broth
- Heat a heavy pot and melt butter. Add the onions and carrots and a pinch of salt. Cook slowly until soft – – about 8 minutes. DO NOT BROWN.
- Add mace, ginger, bay leaf, white pepper, and salt, and cook for 3 minutes
- Add sweet potatoes, squash and chicken broth. Simmer for 30 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and let cool for a while.
- Puree in small batches using a blender or food processor. Adjust seasoning and hold hot until ready to serve, or cool and refrigerate.
- 1/2 pkg. fresh cranberries (12 oz bag)
- 2 oz port wine
- 1 Tbs granulated sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- In a sauce pan, combine the cranberries, port wine, and sugar and the pinch of cinnamon. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes until cranberries burst and mixtures starts to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool for a while. Puree in a blender of food processor. Strain sauce and hold warm.
- Ladle soup into bowl, and top with cranberry puree. Drizzle or dot with a spoon; using about 1 or 2 Tablespoons for each bowl.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0