Burger King Breakfast Sandwiches by Todd Wilbur
You can have your eggs and sausage and biscuits sitting next to each other on the plate like all the regular folks out there, or you can get vertical with this top secret breakfast-in-sandwich from the world’s number two fast food chain. And if you prefer a croissant to a biscuit, we’ve got that version for you too (along with the special way to get bigger, circular croissants). One great way to make the eggs for these breakfast sandwiches is to pour the beaten egg into a well-greased mold made from an empty pineapple can. Just cut both ends off an 8-ounce pineapple can — you know, the short cans that have the crushed or sliced pineapple in them. And before you know it, you’ll be making perfectly round eggs like the pros.
1 small can (5 biscuits) Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits
ground black pepper
10 ounces ground breakfast sausage (such as Jimmy Dean) or 10 slices of bacon
5 slices American Cheese
1. Prepare biscuits following instructions on the can (350 degrees for 15-18 min.). When you remove the biscuits from the oven brush the top of each with melted butter.
2. Spray a skillet over medium heat with non-stick cooking spray. Open both ends of a clean, small sliced pineapple can. Spray the inside of the empty can with the non-stick spray, and then place the can in the pan to heat up. Use more than one can if you’d like to speed up the cooking process.
3. Beat an egg, then pour it into the empty can mold, add a bit of salt and pepper, and cover with a saucepan lid. Cook for a couple minutes, then scrape a knife around the edge of the egg to release it. Remove the can then turn the egg over and cook it for another minute or two. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
4. If using sausage, form 2-ounce portions of sausage into patties with the same diameter as the biscuits. Cook the sausage in another hot skillet over medium heat until brown. If using bacon, cook the bacon and drain on paper towels.
5. Slice a biscuit in half through the middle. Build each sandwich by first stacking egg on the bottom half of the biscuit. Next arrange sausage (or 2 slices of bacon) on the egg, then a slice of American cheese. Top off each sandwich with the top biscuit half, then zap it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to help melt the cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Makes 5 sandwiches.
1 8-ounce can Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
ground black pepper
8 ounces ground breakfast sausage (such as Jimmy Dean) or 8 slices of bacon
4 slices American Cheese
1. Prepare the rolls by first unrolling the dough out of the can. Separate the dough into four sections, each made up of two triangles. Detach the triangles by tearing along the diagonal perforation, then reattach the dough along the outside parallel edges, pinching the dough together along the middle. This will make making one bigger triangle. Loosely roll the dough from the wide end, all the way up. Now, bring the ends around so that they overlap and the roll is in the shape of a circle. Press the ends together and place roll onto a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, then bake following the directions on the package (375 degrees for 11-13 min.).
2. When the rolls are done baking build the sandwich using the above steps 2 through 5 in the recipe for the biscuit sandwich clone. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com).
Makes 4 sandwiches.