- 1 C. milk
- 1 C. light cream
- 4-6 slices, stale bread, brioche or challah make the best, cubed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 C. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- grating of nutmeg
- butter for ramekins
- brown sugar for sprinkling, optional
- Loosely pack six well buttered ramekins or custard cups with the bread cubes.
- Scald the milk and cream and while they cool, slightly beat the sugar into the eggs,add vanilla and nutmeg. When the scalded milk/cream is cool mix with eggs. If you have a 4 C. measuring cup, you can do all your mixing in it.
- Pour as much of the milk and egg mixture as you can over the bread in each of the ramekins. Let the bread soak up what it will and then add more of the egg mixture. The amount absorbed will depend on how stale your bread was.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 “. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
If you have any custard mixture left you can bake it separately in another ramekin.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0