- 5 cups fresh blackberries
- Scant cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into bits
- Pasty for double-crust pie
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- Adjust rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat to 425º. Pick over blackberries, and if they are dirty, quickly rinse and drain on paper towels.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough for bottom crust, and drape loosely into 9-inch pie pan, leaving a generous overhang. Refrigerate until needed.
- Roll out the top crust to an 11 to 12-inch round, and with a pastry wheel or knife, cut the pastry into strips about 3/4 inch wide. Refrigerate until needed.
- To make a ‘scant’ cup of sugar, remove about 2 Tbsp from a level cup of sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Add the berries and the almond extract and gently toss together. Add the butter bits and toss once more. Turn into the pastry-lined pan.
- Evenly space 5 strips of pasty over the filling. Weave 5 more strips through crosswise, to make a lattice top. Using a finger dipped in water, moisten the underside of the ends of the pastry strips and press them to the overhanging pastry all around. Tightly roll up all around to make a raised edge and then flute or crimp. If glazing the pie crust, beat the egg yolk in a small bowl with 1 tsp water and paint the lattice strips but not the fluted edge. (One yolk is enough to glaze three pies).
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Reduce the heat to 350º and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer until golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool on a rack.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0