Berry Snow Pie
- 1 Baked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 Large eggs, separated
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 Tsp salt
- 1-1/4Cups milk
- 1 Envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla
- 1 Cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 Cups (1 pint) fresh berries, washed & dried
- Beat egg yolks slightly in the top of a double boiler; stir in 1/4-cup of the sugar, salt and milk; sprinkle gelatin over top to soften.
- Cook gelatin mixture, stirring constantly, over simmering water 15 minutes, or until gelatin dissolves completely and mixture thickens slightly and coats a metal spoon.
- Strain into a large mixing bowl; stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Set bowl in a pan of ice and water to speed up setting. Chill, stirring often, at room temperature just until it is as thick as an unbeaten egg white.
- While gelatin mixture chills, beat egg whites until foamy-white and double in volume in a small bowl; sprinkle remaining 1/4-cup sugar, 1-Tbsp at a time, beating all the time until sugar dissolves and meringue stands in firm peaks.
- In small bowl, beat cream until stiff. Fold meringue, then whipped cream into thickened gelatin mixture; gently fold in berries.
- Spoon into cooled pastry shell. Chill several hours, or until firm.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0