Beef & Guinness Stew
- 2 lbs. stewing beef, remove fat & gristle
- 3 Tblsp. oil
- 2 Tblsp. flour
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 Tblsp. tomato puree, dissolved in
- 4 Tblsp. water
- 1-1/4 cups Guinness
- 2 cups largely diced carrots
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut meat into 2 inch cubes & toss meat in 1 Tblsp. of oil.
- In small bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper & cayenne. Toss meat in seasoned flour to coat. Heat remaining oil in large skillet over high heat. Brown meat on all sides.
- Reduce heat, add onions, garlic & tomato puree to the skillet. Cover & cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Transfer contents to to a casserole & pour 1/2 the Guinness into the skillet. Bring to a boil & stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices in the pan. Pour over the meat, along with the remaining Guinness. Add the carrots & thyme. Stir & adjust the seasonings.
- Cover casserole & simmer over low heat or in a 300 degree oven until the meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0