Beef Casserole with Parsnips
- 2oz butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 11/2 lb braising or stewing steak, cut into bite-size cubes
- 8oz shallots, peeled
- 8oz small mushrooms
- 1oz plain flour
- 10oz parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500ml bottle English brown ale
- 1/2 pint beef stock
- Put half the butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a flameproof pan and when hot, fry the beef cubes in two batches. Put to one side on a plate.
- Heat the remaining butter and oil and fry the shallots and mushrooms gently for 10 minutes. Sprinkle over the plain flour and stir in. Add the meat and gradually stir in the ale, the stock and the parsnips. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 2 hours. Taste and add seasoning.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0