Bean With Bacon Soup
- 16 ounces dried navy beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chicken base or 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- Boil the beans in 9 cups of the water and then let sit for one hour. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon to your desired texture (it can be soft or crisp, whatever you prefer) and drain except for 1/4 cup grease.
- Coarsely chop the bacon. Add the onions and celery to the reserved grease and bacon and sauté until soft, do not drain.
- Add the chicken base or cubes, 4 cups water, beans, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cloves, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice. Serve.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0