Time to make:
60 minutes for cooking
Calories per Servings:
455 Calories, 36 g CAarbohydrate, 9 g Protein, 31 g Fat, 264 mg Chol, 253 mg Sodium
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup sifted cake-and-pastry flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanillaButter Cream:
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup bufter, softened
- 1 tbsp rum
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
STEP BY STEP:
- In food processor, chop walnuts with 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the flour until finely ground; set aside
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar for 5 minutes or until pale and batter falls in ribbons when beaters are lifted. Blend in vanilla
- Stir in walnut mixture and remaining flour. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold one�quarter into egg yolk mixture
- Fold in remaining whites.
- Spread batter in greased and parch�ment or waxed paper-lined 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) jelly roll pan
- Bake in centre of 350’F (180’C) oven for about 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Loosen edges with knife; invert onto flour-dusted tea towel
- Carefully peel off paper. Starting at long side, roll up cake in towel; let cool on rack.
- BUTTIERCREAM: Meanwhile, in bowl over saucepan of simmering water, cook eggs with sugar, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is as thick as cream and coats back of wooden spoon. Let cool
- In separate bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy; gradually beat in cooled egg mixture until thick and creamy
- Transfer one-third to small bowl; stir in rum. Into remaining buttercream, stir in chocolate. Refrigerate to chill for 30 minutes
- Unroll cake. Spread with rum butter�cream. Reroll without towel; place, seam�side down, on flat serving plate. With serrated knife, cut off both ends at angle. Spread some of the chocolate buttercream over roll
- Place ends on log to resemble knots; spread with remaining chocolate buttercream. Run tines of fork lengthwise along log to resemble bark.
Make ahead : Cover with plastic wrap and refrigeratefor up to 1 day; serve at room temperature.