Basic Red Enchilada Sauce
- 8 Ancho chiles
- 3 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup onion — chopped
- 2 cloves garlic — chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tsp. chili powder
- Cover chiles with warm water. Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes; drain. Strain liquid; reserve.
- Remove stems, seeds and membranes from chilies.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in a 2-quart saucepan until onion is tender.
- Stir in chilies, 2 cups of the reserved liquid and the remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes; cool.
- Pour into a food processor workbowl fitted with steel blade or into a blender container; cover and process until smooth.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0