Basic Gluten Free Cake
Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
195 Calories, Fat 6g, Protein 2g, Carbohydrates 33g, Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 144mg, Fiber 1g
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or 1 tbsp lemon juice plus enough non-dairy milk to equal 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white or brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 6 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
STEP BY STEP:
- Preheat oven to 325�F. Generously grease 8 x 4-inch nonstick loaf pan or two 8-inch nonstick round cake pans. Line cake pans with waxed paper or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer and a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs on low speed until blended. Add the grated lemon peel.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, combine the buttermilk and vanilla. On low speed, beat the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk — beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the loaf pan for about 50 minutes, cake pans for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan(s) for 5 minutes, then remove from pan(s) and cool on rack.