Barley Peasant Soup
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 C. chopped onion
- 1 C. chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 C. water
- 5 C. beef broth
- 2 C. sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 C. pearl barley
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 C. sliced zucchini
- 3 C. diced plum tomatoes
- 2 C. chopped cabbage
- 1/4 C. snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasonings
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown meat in oil.
- Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Add water and broth. Bring to a boil, add carrots and barley, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes till barley is tender. Add beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, parsley and seasonings.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes or till vegetables are tender.
- Top individual bowls with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0