Banana Cream Pie Filling
- 3 cups milk (whole milk is best but I have used 2%)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- baked pie shell
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 3 to 4 bananas
- Scald 2 cups of milk in double boiler.
- Mix sugar, salt and flour together and then add remaining cup of milk, stir to remove any lumps.
- Stir this mixture into the hot milk and cook slowly over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes more.
- Take a small amount of the hot mixture and quickly stir into the egg yolks to warm them, then slowly add to milk mixture, stirring well, cover and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Slice 2 bananas into pie shell, add 1/2 filling; add more sliced bananas and then remaining filling.
- Frost with stiffly beaten whipped cream that has been flavored with vanilla and sweetened with powdered sugar.
- Keep refrigerated
Note: This is for a 10 to 12″ pie plate, you can cut it in half for a smaller pie.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0