Banana Caramel Pie
- 1 C. graham cracker crumbs
- 4 T. butter or margarine, melted
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 C. semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 C. heavy cream
- 1 T. light corn syrup
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 1/3 C. heavy cream
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Prepare crust: combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar and press firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake 8-10 minutes until light browning occurs. Set aside to cool. Turn off oven.
- Prepare the chocolate layer: In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine: chocolate, 2/3 C. cream, and corn syrup. Cook, stirring until chocolate is fully melted, and smooth. Pour the mixture into the crust, and swirl it up the sides to coat them. Chill about an hour, until firmly set.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel filling. Here are two ways to turn sweetened condensed milk into caramel that do not involve exploding cans (Do not boil the unopened can): On the stovetop, pour and scrape the condensed milk into the top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water on low heat, and simmer uncovered 1-11/2 hours, occasionally stirring and scraping the side and bottom of the pan (more frequently as it thickens) until the filling is as thick as pudding and the color of brown sugar or light caramel. ( Add more water to the lower pan occasionally, if necessary.) Stir until smooth, set aside to cool.
- In the microwave; pour and scrape condensed milk into a 2 quart glass measuring cup, or deep bowl (the mixture boils up). Cook on 50 percent power 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Reduce to 30 percent (medium low) and cook-stirring briskly and scraping the side and bottom of the bowl every 2 minutes (careful; the bowl gets hot) for 12-18 minutes, until (after stirring) the filling is as thick as pudding, and the color of brown sugar or light caramel. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- When the chocolate layer has set, and the caramel is cool, stir the caramel again until smooth and pour and spoon it over the chocolate layer.
- Thinly slice the bananas and arrange them on the caramel in overlapping concentric circles.
- Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks; beat in the vanilla.
- Spread the whipped cream over the pie and dust with the cocoa powder.
- Chill thoroughly before serving
Share & Print
0 0 100 0