Avocados and Chile Gazpacho
• 2 ripe avocados, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
• 8 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped (see note)
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 small onion, minced
• 3 canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, rinsed, seeded and minced
• Juice of 2 limes (about 3 tablespoons)
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 cup ice water
pinch of Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss chopped avocados with tomatoes.
- With the side of a chef’s knife, crush minced garlic into a paste on a cutting board; stir it into the tomato-avocado mixture. Stir in the onion, chilies, lime juice and cilantro. Stir in ice water and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve chilled.
To peel tomatoes, plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute then immediately into cold water. Skin should slip off easily.
Add chipotle and smoked jalapeno chiles in small quantities until desired heat level is reached