Authentic Mexican Rice
- 2 cups (10 oz) long grain rice
- 1/4 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water (4 fluid ounces)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 11/2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- Soak the rice in warm water for 5 minutes, rinse well and drain. Meanwhile, in a blender, pureé the onion and garlic in the cup of water and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet, add the rice and sauté, stirring lightly, until the grains separate and become translucent, about 5
minutes. Pour off the excess oil.
- Add the carrots and stir for 2 minutes. Add the pureéd onion and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the hot water and salt. When the water comes to a boil, add the corn and cabbage, stir, cover the skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 20-3- minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Share & Print
0 0 100 0