Aunt Gertrude’s Chocolate Roll
Time to make:
Calories per Servings:
- 1/4 cup coffee or espresso
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 7 oz semi-sweet chocolate
STEP BY STEP:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate eggs. Beat 1 cup sugar in yolks until light. Add coffee to chocolate and melt over low heat, cool slightly.
- Stir chocolate until smooth and add to yolk mixture. Beat whites until very stiff. Fold whites into chocolate mixture.
- Oil slightly a large jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides. Cover with wax or parchment paper, turn paper over so both sides are oiled. Pour in batter. Bake 350, 15 min.
- Lay damp (not wet) paper towels over entire cake. Set in refrigerator (or on counter) until cool.
- When the cake is cool, whip heavy cream, vanilla and 2 Tbs sugar until stiff. Remove paper towels from cake and sprinkle with plain cocoa; a shaker or sieve works well. Cover with foil. Invert pan.
- Remove cake from pan and carefully peel off wax paper. Spread with sweetened whipped cream. Roll up by pulling on foil. Chill.
- This cake will keep a day in the fridge or five days in the freezer. If freezing, allow to defrost for six hours in the refridgerator before serving.
Don’t cover pan with foil after baking unless you do not plan to finish for a few hours (so it does not dry out).