Apricot Coffee Biscuits
3 cups sifted flour
4 1/2 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons shortening
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1. Sift dry ingredients together and cut in shortening.
2. Combine beaten egg yolk and milk and add to flour mixture to make a soft dough.
3. Turn out on floured surface and knead gently 30 seconds. Roll into rectangular shape 1/4 inch thick.
4. Brush with melted butter and spread with cold Apricot Filling. Roll as for jelly roll and shape into a ring on a greased baking sheet.
5. Cut with scissors at one-inch intervals almost through and turn each slice lightly on its side.
6. Bake in a moderately hot oven (400° F.) for 25 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon milk.
1 1/4 cups mashed cooked apricots
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
1. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt and add to apricots.
2. Add water, lemon rind and juice and cook until mixture has thickened and cornstarch becomes transparent.
3. Remove from heat and add butter. Let cool.