Applesauce Fruit Cake
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp sat
- 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped dates
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red maraschino cherries drained, or candied carries
- 2 cups applesauce
- 6 red cherries halved and drained
- 6 pecan halves
- Heat oven to 325 f. grease a 10 inch tube pan; line bottom with waxed papers or foil and grease again
- In large bowl, beat sugar and shortening till light and fluffy. Add eggs, blend well.
- Reserve 1/2 cup flour. Add remaining 2 3/4 cups flour, baking soda cinnamon, allspice, cloves ad salt to egg mixture.
- Beat at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- In another large bowl combine 1/2 cup reserved flour with nuts, raisins, dates, and 1/2 cup cherries; stir until nuts and fruit are lightly coated.
- By hand stir nut-fruit mixture and applesauce into flour batter. Mix well
- Pour batter into greased and waxed pan, top with cherry halves and pecans. Bake at 325ºF for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool upright in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan take off waxed paper. Turn upright onto a rack cool completely
Share & Print
0 0 100 0